Blogtober has some really interesting prompts, take today for instance 10 Things You’d Tell Yourself When You Started Blogging, can I limit it to ten…..
I have been blogging for about 14 months and I have learned a ton and still have a long way to go… take a media kit just as an example, I followed this great tutorial
on Helen’s blog and created a Media Kit but then I realized, now what do I do about this??? so my lovely media kit has been sitting in my documents and has never seen the light of day, nor has anyone else seen it…. so some day I guess I will learn ” Pitching” and not the baseball kind.
So flashback and be given an opportunity to give myself 10 hints, pieces of advise…. hmmm
1) Pictures matter as does size, yes ladies ( and gents) contrary to what you may have been told SIZE matters. Pick a size and stick to it…. make it consistent and BIG, like I said size matters. Personally I finally worked up the nerve and sent a blogger I admire an email and asked her how she got her pictures to look the way they do.she explained what to do and I did it.. size 682 ( today 735) that is what I use on pic monkey, always the same width ( well except for the occasional Gif). So thank you Shanna
for being so kind to this gal.
2) The difference between a Post and a Page. Hot damn folks my first three months of blogging all my outfits and shoe posts went on a Page and were not posts and now they are forever gone….
3) The importance of linking all your social media to your blog. Sounds silly but it is true..
4) The importance of your Name… oh so very very true, I felt like I was having an identity crisis for awhile there trying to re-establish my self. “This is My Life, Really”, to ” My Life” ( yea how original) to where I am now, something that says to me what I am and hopefully catches your attention a little bit.
5) Networking… it is not enough to read other blogs, this is a social community and you need to be engaged. I now have my regular blogs that not only do I read them daily but I always try and comment, this way I am hopefully not only attracting them as a reader but I am developing friendships.
6) SEO, damn still not really sure about this one but two main points, it is very important to go to “properties” on each picture and place a title on the “alt text” I still do not understand the fine points of all of this but I do know it makes the picture pop up on google during a search and thus very very important if you are trying to attract people to your blog.
7) Sponsoring and Giveaways – very important to start this early…. I do not care what anyone else tells you if you are blogging and want people to read your blog then you need to find traffic somewhere. I watch a bloggers sidebar and I try and see where bloggers I like are sponsoring and then sometimes a great blogger will give you some great ideas for sponsoring
and thanks to Ashleys tips not only did I find some great sponsors but some great blogs I now follow regularly ( Love the Here and Now
) being one. Sponsoring is important to help get you traffic and to help teach you how to be an effective sponsor.
8) Bloggers are friendly and caring- if you have a question send an email, bloggers no matter who they are, respond and are willing to help. Remember they have been exactly where you are scared, unsure yet excited and keen, it is not a competition it is a family and they will help.
9) Its going to take time, so be prepared to spend the time needed ( and money) and to plan in advance, Blogging is a science on to itself and we are not all experts but there is a lot of expertise out there. I purchased Meagans E Book
and that helped me a lot in the beginning, great tips on what to do and what not to do.. Invest in yourself people, buy a consult, ask the questions do not be shy…
10) Blog conferences – step out of your comfort zone and just take a chance you will meet some great people and have a great time….
OK that is just ten and I now I have dozens more but by now you are probably bored silly and just waiting impatiently for just what I wore right…. well I did something very impulsive and I went back to Target and purchased me a pair of overalls, can you say hello 90’s….
One piece of advise buy small, cuz unlike the overalls from the 90’s these have stretch. So after a busy Saturday cleaning my basement ( if ya follow me on Instagram, and rebuilding shoe racks,) I went back downtown to spend time with Kent… dressed in a casual manner with the overalls but added some booties and a scarf for a slight dressed up feel, wasn;t sure about supper plans.. we went for southern Bar B Que so I felt right at home.
Wearing my Yosa Scarf again….
Wore a plain black Long sleeve t shirt from the gap: ( and lesson 11 indoor pictures with the Ipad do not work very well, so find a good spot to take pictures when it is pouring outside, Sorry for the grainy but I really wanted to show off my overalls, hope I am forgiven.)
Overalls – Target, Boots- Forever 21, Belt- J Crew, Tee – Gap and Cardigan Old Navy ( everything but the overalls have been worn many times).