I am a huge fan of Shepherd’s Pie and so is Kent. Problem is I do not seem to make it often enough. The very first time I made it for Kent he made an offhand comment about it needing something.
It was a totally innocent statement that I think I took as a criticism so I stopped making it. Silly girl that I was, now I am more confident in my kitchen creations so I experiment a lot with favours.
Canadian Shepherd’s Pie
Canadian Shepherd’s Pie or rather Linda’s Shepherd Pie may not be quite what y’all are use to. Shepherd’s pie or cottage pie is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato.
In the United States, the dish can vary widely, whether as a home recipe or a standard menu item in an Irish pub. Everyone makes it different.
Kent was use to Corn in his pie, others like peas. My pie, well its a cheater pie I use Campbell’s Beef and vegetable soup so I get bits of all sorts of veggies plus a lovely broth.
Basic Ingredients you will need
- Hamburger/Ground Beef
- Campbell’s Beef Vegetable Soup
- Other seasonings to taste
Making Shepherd’s Pie
This is probably one of the easiest dishes to master. A Healthy meal that will remind you of home and make you f
- fry the ground beef
- add seasonings to create a flavour you love
- Drain the fat
- add one can of Cambell’s beef and Vegetable Soup
- add 1/2 can warm water
- In a separate pot add the peeled potatoes and bring to boil
- Drain and then mash the potato by hand.
- add milk and butter ( small amounts at a time) and continue mashing the potato
- you can use a hand mixer for whipped potatoes
- add ground beef mixture to deep casserole dish
- add potato on top and sprinkle with paprika
- Bake in oven for approx one hour or until the potato has a golden crust
- Today I add a tad more seasoning to my ground beef, with my new grown up palette.This is a totally to flavour type of recipe, do you like bland or spice? Are you an add ketchup after or taste it pure type of person? I add seasoning to the beef as I fry it.
- Boil your potatoes and then whip them till creamy I always serve the Shepherd’s Pie with fresh rolls or croissants, let’s get the carbs rolling. Additional veggies can be added as a side or even a salad. What do you think? Want to try a bite?
Additional Comfort Foods to try: