Why oh why are some of the tastiest foods in the world so unphotogenic? The most totally delicious Doritos Nacho Salad tastes amazing but doesn’t appear very special on the plate. Thank the lord Mr Corn on the Cob is attractive right? Sometimes I think we just have to go with the flavour not the picture, so trust me on the goodness.
Doritos Nacho Salad
Summer dinners poolside always call for refreshing dishes. Seasonal salads are always wonderful but sometimes we want a little bit of decadence don’t you think? There are many versions of Nacho salads out there but come’on it’s nacho style so can there ever be too many (totally rhetorical question). It’s a pretty basic salad and one pretty much any age group can try. This is a true family friendly recipe.
The ingredients are very similar to the beginnings of a taco night with a side of chili thrown in. Wow that sounds like a horrid combination but trust me it works. Burger, Taco seasoning and fresh peppers form the base but I get too far ahead of myself. Let’s get cooking or frying.
Making Nacho Salad
- starting simple lets gather our ingredients (full list in recipe card below)
2) fry your extra lean ground beef in a frying pan obviously.
3) while the beef is frying chop the peppers and shallots
4) add taco seasoning to cooked beef ( follow the taco recipe, i.e. add water as well)
5) add hot beef, peppers, shallots and kidney beans to a large bowl and stir ( helps soften the beans)
6) In a large salad bowl add a head of lettuce, shredded cheese and catalina dressing. Warning watch the dressing, we added too much. I think this is a case where less is more. Keep some on reserve for people to add in for personal taste
7) Add beef mixture to salad bowl and toss (toss the food in the bowl not the bowl lol)
8) crush your Dorito Nacho Chips
9) add crushed chips to bowl, keep some of reserve for garnish
10) Toss salad and serve
11) Eat and enjoy
This really is a delightful salad for summer dining. Try it out and tell me what you think. And if salads are your go to how about a Mandarin Orange Salad or maybe a with cucumber watermelon salad feta?
A quick and easy summer salad with a punch. Forget a plain garden salad and add some spice to your life. Watch you Taco about, I am nacha kind of salad.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- sweet peppers
- head of lettuce
- 1 can kidney beans
- catalina dressing
- 1 c shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese
fry beef and then add taco seasoning and water
chop shallots and peppers
add cooked seasoned beef, kidney beans and peppers/shallot mixture to a large bowl
add shredded lettuce and cheese to large salad bowl
add 1 cup catalina dressing and toss
add beef mixture to salad bowl
crush dorito chips
add to salad and toss
serve on individual plates (I recommend having additional dressing and doritos for people to add based on personal taste)
nutrition facts are based on 8 servings but that is when serving as a side. For a meal I would suggest this serves 4 so the calorie count is more accurately stated as 560