So today as I got to play in the garage and in the yard listening to Christmas Carols Kent got ambitious in the kitchen. He decided a day like today called for garlic. The best Homemade Garlic Soup came out of the kitchen and has been a repeat menu item ever since.
Homemade Garlic Soup
Homemade Garlic Soup sounds weird I know but this is one of the best soups I have ever had.It is insane how much garlic one needs. The key ingredient though is the baked homey garlic cloves. It takes this over the top in awesomeness.
- 40 Garlic cloves
- 4tbsp butter
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 large onions chopped
- 3 large yukon gold potatoes cut in cubes
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups 35% cream
Preparing the Soup
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 c) In a 4 c baking dish melt the 2 tbsp butter, add the garlic salt and pepper, bake 15-20 minutes ( stir halfway, garlic should be tender and golden brown) Toss 12 cloves of the garlic with the honey and set aside.
- In large pot, add remaining butter, add onion reduce heat to medium low and cover ( stir occasionally, 10 min) Uncover, stir often for 5 minutes, add potatoes, thyme, bay leave and remaining garlic, saute 3 minutes. Stir in broth and 1 c cream, bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes ( or until potatoes are tender).
Remove heat let stand 10 minutes to cool, Remove thyme and bay leaf.
Blend mixture until smooth, stir in remaining cream and bring to simmer.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with reserved honey roasted Garlic ( mine had sunk in picture above)
What goes well with Garlic Soup
For the main course Kent made Apple Garlic Baked Pork chops, rice and fresh green beans.