Last Updated on 2021-01-24 by Linda
Sometimes I think I should rename my Blog ” As Seen on Facebook” or at least the cooking part. Kent is forever scouring Facebook and when he finds a food video he likes then inevitably we have it soon after. Now that is totally not a complaint just a full disclaimer. This weeks specialty Grilled Chicken Margarita.
Wednesday on the way home from work, Kent told me he had discovered another Chicken recipe that we were going to try. Grilled Chicken Margarita was on the menu. Well I outright said no- way….. OK totally not true, I am always up for anything he wants to try. It is a relatively simple recipe and perfect for Summer/Fall nights. Special bonus 30 minutes of less till dinner is on the table.
What is Grilled Chicken Margherita
This chicken dish is one that features cheese, cherry tomatoes, and basil pesto. Think of a margherita pizza: you have pesto sauce (or marinara), topped with mozzarella hunks, and basil. So it’s like pizza on top of the chicken, except minus the crust, of course. So keto friendly right?
Ingredients you Will need for this Chicken Dish
There is a quick way to create this tasty Grilled Chicken Margherita dish starting with ready made pesto and Italian seasoning, or you can create everything from scratch. your choice.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to less than 1 inch thickness
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
How you Make Grilled Chicken Margherita
1. First, combine chicken, salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. Toss with tongs or your hands to combine.
2. Grill the chicken over medium-high heat for about 6-8 minutes on each side, or until it’s cooked all the way through.
3. Top with a slice of mozzarella cheese on each piece of chicken, and cook for another minute or so until it’s melted over the top of the chicken breast.
4. In a clean bowl, toss together the tomatoes, lemon juice, and basil.
5. Top each chicken breast with about 3 tablespoons of pesto, a scoop of tomatoes, and some freshly cracked black pepper and serve.
On the Que
Grilling the chicken on the que was perfect. As you know this week has been hot and sticky so not having the oven on was perfect. Plus look at this Ontario Farmed Chicken Breasts, aren’t they yummy.
The chicken is a three step process, a marinade, then grilling then dressing. Pretty basic but company worthy.
Pesto or Presto for Grilled Chicken Margarita
The topping is pesto and grape tomatoes. Not just delicious but picture worthy. We served our Grilled Chicken Margherita with green beans and rice. What would you pair this with? I am thinking it might be tasty with a side pf pasta, maybe the Roasted Red Pepper dish? Or maybe just a side salad so you can savour the tastiness of the chicken.
Grilled Chicken Margerita
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 4 mozzeralla slices
- .5 c basil pesto
- .5 c cherry tomatoes
- lemon juice
- In a large bowl combine chicken, salt and pepper, olive oil, garlic power, and Italian seasoning. Toss to combine.
- Grill chicken on BBQ for about 6-8 minutes on each side until cooked through. Top each piece of chicken with a slice of mozzarella cheese and cook another minute or so until melted.
- Toss tomatoes, lemon juice, and basil together. Top each chicken breast with about 3 tablespoons pesto, a scoop of tomatoes, and some freshly cracked black pepper.
- Serve Hot and enjoy
Dinner is served, Enjoy