Last Updated on 2020-02-09 by Linda
Back a few weeks ago I shared Kent’s Homemade Salsa recipe. We made salsa and then spent the day snacking, fresh salsa, margaritas and homemade baked tortilla chips. Mathieu brought them over and then I had to have the recipe. Crazy thing though, I never thought to share to chip recipe.
Homemade Tortilla Chips, who knew they would be so easy. Gosh I am not sure i want to go back to store purchased ever again.
Why Make your own Tortilla Chips
Interesting question, why make your own tortilla chips? Not an easy answer. Truth be told unlike many things homemade tortilla chips are not cheaper than store bought. They are however so much better tasting. Sometimes, no, all the time, flavor should out weigh cost shouldn’t?
Are you prepared to pay more for quality at a restaurant? Do you pay a higher price for shoes that are made well, or a dress that is stitched by hand? Well so should you also feel about quality homemade snacks.
What do you need to make the Chips
The ingredients are simple:
- 12-15 yellow corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, you will need some for the baking sheets as well
Not kidding you here that is all you need, three simple ingredients and a good oven. No deep drying, no mess, just an oven.
How to make Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips
- 5 yellow corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Brush two large baking sheets with olive oil or use cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, pour in 2 tablespoons .This makes it easier to brush the oil on the shells.
- Brush oil on one tortilla, making sure to cover the entire surface.
- Cut tortillas in half. Cut each half into small triangles. Set aside.
- Brush oil on remaining tortillas and cut into triangles
- .Arrange tortilla pieces on baking sheet in a single layer. They can be lined right next to each other as they’ll shrink once baked.
- Sprinkle salt all over tortilla pieces
- .Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until the chips are golden.
- Depending on the size of your baking sheets, you may need to bake everything in two batches.Let chips cool before serving.
- Store chips in an airtight container.