Last Updated on 2020-10-15 by Linda
sBell peppers are tasty on their own but every so often we like to stuff ourselves right? OK sorry could not resist Today I am sharing a very simple and easy Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe. I honestly could not believe how quick we were able to get these ready and on the table. As a bonus great the day after as well.
Stuffed Bell Peppers
Bell Peppers regardless of the colour are a tasty addition to your dinner table. My personal preference is anything but green but when stuffed even they taste great. While I am using rice and burger one can also try ground turkey, sausage or chicken. Now I have used peppers in many a recipe, like my Garlic and Roasted Pepper Pasta but up till now not as a Recipe Star.
As an FYI, green is a tad less sweet but depending on personal taste and the meat selection you may prefer them. I usually do not eat green peppers at all, but in the filling I found the taste a lot milder than normal.
What you will need to make the Peppers
The ingredients for the stuffed peppers is quite simple. I kept mine basic but you can add additional seasoning as you prefer.
- Bell peppers up to 6
- onion small
- Italian seasoning
- small tomato
- ground beef
- white rice
- Worcestershire sauce
How to Make Stuffed Peppers
The step by step can be followed here with a little pictorial or pop up the recipe
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Do you have to Pre-Cook the Peppers first?
No you don’t have to Blanche or precook the peppers, but they do stay quite crisp if you don’t pre-cook them. I personally prefer starting with fresh peppers for this Stuffed Peppers recipe. I like a little crisp in my dinner. This is again an optional step, pre-cook the peppers or don’t or better yet try both and tell me which you prefer.
Can you Freeze the Stuffed Peppers?
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can small diced tomatoes or fresh tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup white rice uncooked
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup salsa divided
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the tops off the peppers (save the tops), remove seeds and membranes and discard. Chop tops of the peppers to add to the filling.
- place the peppers upright in a large pan (depends on size of peppers I used a small cast iron roaster). Place small amount of diced tomato in each pepper.
- In a large skillet, brown beef,onion & garlic over medium high heat. Drain any fat.
- add Italian seasoning and any other spice you prefer.
- In a large pot you will boil the rice. Cook 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. You can add more water if needed. Fill each pepper with the rice and burger mixture mixture. Spoon remaining marinara sauce over peppers.
- Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes. Remove foil, baste peppers with any sauce in the bottom. Top with cheddar and bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers are tender.