Last Updated on 2023-03-20 by Linda
Today I am revisitng a topic from 2015, 10 Things Not to Wear after 5o. I thought I would check in on my style over the past five years and see if I follow any rules at all. In 2015 I broke all the rules of fashion daily. Now in 2020 do I know what to wear after 50?
Or should I have started with, Happy Monday and I am on Vacation, woohoo. Actually it is more of a blogcation because I took a week off to focus on the blog. Work has been so crazy with Covid that I have found, since March the Blog has suffered. Mornings will be totally dedicated to blog learning, afternoons will be poolside and evenings for posts and pictures. Hoping this will get me back in the groove I love so much.
Fashion to Wear over 50
What does being a blogger over 50 really mean, is it different than 40? Is it really any different then 20? OK not much different than 40 but a lot easier then 20 (sounds strange but that is a post for another day I promise) for today it is all about 50.
I googled the what not to wear over 50 and ignoring the satirical articles stating nothing is forbidden there are a few “serious” posts out there. Truly there are people who really believe age is a number to restrict you, there are real rules of what you should or should not be doing. So I thought I would attempt to take the rules apart. Do I need to start dressing age appropriately. I didn’t agree in 2015, so how about today.
Mind you this is totally ignoring the last five months because there are no rules during covid right?
10 Items not to Wear Over 50
The ten things we should stop wearing ( and the age we should stop will be included because apparently it is not just over 50 that is at issue apparently any woman over 30 needs to smarten up:
1) Message T Shirts, apparently after age 30 we need to replace message tees with classic plain colour T Shirts: Well apparently I still like my quotes and designs so no plain jane shirts for moi. Honestly this is such a silly rule, does anyone follow it?
2) Pack away the trendy denim including skinnies, boyfriends and distressed. Age 35 is the recommended moving to classic non trendy looks. What the heck is a non trendy denim, Mom Jeans maybe, well they seem pretty darn trendy to me. I think this actually means classic boot cut, but heck I love distressed and skinny.
3) Costume shoes ( which includes over the knee boots but apparently these are ok till your mid 40’s. I am in serious trouble over this one OTK boots are an actual staple in my Fall/Winter Wardrobe, and fun shoes in general are my jam. Or Maybe platforms covered in lemons are not costume shoes lol.
4) Micro Minis at age 40 should be packed away, OK seriously micro??? I think that is size appropriate not age appropriate but I came close to breaking this one many a time. I am still a fan of a short skirt but I guess maybe I follow the rule as defined. Micro is uber short right. But a short skirt in distressed denim must have me on the edge. I feel like a failure for not ” dressing as a “women over 50”
5) Excessive cleavage is apparently Ok till age 50 so I just missed this one ( and it is one I rarely do) I probably showed more cleavage in my flatter, younger days. My chest grew after I quit smoking and now I am not really comfortable with too much showing. Closest I can find to breaking that rule.
Fashion Rules for over 50 Continued
6) Ribbed white tanks should not be purchased after 40, Ironically I do not own a white ribbed tanks anymore but I do own several white tanks. So does that mean I followed this rule? Fashion over 50 is so very silly at times.
7) Hair Gadgets are a no no after 30, I can’t wear head bands but I am thinking my braids probably fall under this one. And what about scrunchies and messy buns and extensions?
8) Large Hobo Bags – well again at 50 no longer appropriate so I guess i will be tossing all my bags
9)Cheap underwear is a no no after age 35, well sorry article I like the bras at Target ( again no picture just trust me ok)
10) say goodbye to loud accessories after age 35 ( and I think all my nail polishes, statement necklaces, hats etc. all may fall into this area.) What exactly is the definition of a loud accessory? Big, bold flashy or colourful. Do coloured sneakers count or just jewelry and scarves. Hmmmm my whole wardrobe may fall under this one.
So I have failed at the following the rules, anyone else with me in thinking these rules need to go the same place, no white after labour day, and don’t mix patterns went…. back in the history vault for things not to redo??
Emma Peach says
Those posts about what women over a certain age shouldn’t wear used to really annoy me but now I just find them funny! Life would be boring if we followed pointless rules! Thanks for linking up!
Shelbee on the Edge says
Fashion rules make me chuckle! I break all of these rules as well because I will wear what I want, when I want, and however I want to wear it. At 46 years old, I have more confidence in my style choices than ever before. I would never follow some silly rules! Although I am terribly uncomfortable showing off too much cleavage. I wish I had the confidence for that! Great post! That was fun to read! And thanks for linking up with me.
By the way, your distressed denim overalls dress is the darn cutest thing! I want one!
Amy's Fashion Blog says
Enjoy your vaction. I go one vaction next week. Which is a stay vaction.